Celebrating Love in A Personalised Way
So, you have decided to ditch the idea of a massive wedding with everyone you have ever met invited, and instead, you are opting for an intimate wedding with your closest family and friends. Congratulations on choosing a more personalised and meaningful celebration! If you’re planning to have an intimate wedding in Auckland, New Zealand, you’re in for a treat. In this blog, we’ll explore what makes an intimate wedding special, share Auckland-specific information and advice, offer some generic tips, and weigh the pros and cons of having an intimate wedding versus a grand affair.
What Makes an Intimate Wedding Special?
Before we delve into Auckland-specific advice, let’s first understand what makes an intimate wedding so special.
Intimacy and Connection:
In an intimate wedding, you have the opportunity to truly connect with your loved ones. With a smaller guest list, you can engage in meaningful conversations, share heartfelt moments, and create lasting memories together. The atmosphere is cozy and warm, ensuring that every guest feels included and valued.
One of the major advantages of an intimate wedding is the ability to personalie every detail. From the venue and decor to the menu and music, you have the freedom to create an ambiance that reflects your unique love story. It’s a chance to let your personality shine through in every aspect of the celebration.
One of the best reasons to have an intimate wedding is that it significantly reduces the stress involved with holding a large wedding. With so much less to think and worry about, the day itself will be more enjoyable.
Auckland-Specific Information & Advice
Auckland, known as the City of Sails, offers a picturesque backdrop for your intimate wedding. Here are some Auckland-specific tips to help you plan your dream celebration.
Auckland boasts a wide range of stunning venues for intimate weddings. Consider waterfront locations like Waiheke Island, Devonport, or Mission Bay for breathtaking views and romantic ambiance. Other options include boutique hotels, vineyards, and charming gardens. Remember to book your venue well in advance to secure your preferred date.
Auckland’s weather can be unpredictable, so it’s essential to have a backup plan. Opt for venues with both indoor and outdoor spaces or consider renting marquees for outdoor ceremonies. Always have a contingency plan to ensure a seamless experience, regardless of the weather.
Planning Your Intimate Wedding
While planning your intimate wedding, there are some general tips that can help make your celebration unforgettable.
- Curate Your Guest List:
The beauty of an intimate wedding lies in the carefully selected guest list. Invite those who truly matter to you and share a deep connection. Surrounding yourself with your closest family and friends ensures a warm and loving atmosphere that enhances the joy of your special day.
- Personal Touches:
Infuse personal touches throughout your wedding to make it truly unique. Write personalized vows, create handmade favors, or incorporate meaningful family heirlooms into your decor. These little details will add an extra layer of intimacy and sentiment to your celebration.
- Spend money on what is most important to you: Having an intimate wedding means you can cut costs and save in so many areas. But don’t skimp on everything. Allow yourself to splash out on the aspects that are your highest priority. For me, that would be photography (and not just because I am a wedding photographer myself, but because I place more value on capturing memories as this is the one part of the day that you get to keep forever). Whatever your most valued aspect of the day, be it food, location, what you wear, etc… make sure you get what you love.
- Hire a planner: Just because it’s a small wedding, doesn’t mean a planner won’t be valuable. In fact, the opposite is true. A wedding planner/stylist can really help you choose the best options for your day. Find one that has a great reputation and they will be worth every cent. A good wedding planner will take time to know you, understand your vision and bring it to life.
The Importance of Professional Wedding Photography
Capturing the essence and beauty of your intimate wedding is crucial, and professional wedding photography can play a vital role in preserving those cherished memories.
- Finding the Right Photographer: Selecting a skilled and experienced wedding photographer who specializes in intimate weddings is essential. Look for photographers who have a portfolio that aligns with your desired style and aesthetic. I encourage you to meet with potential photographers and discuss your vision to ensure a strong connection and shared understanding.
- Documenting Intimate Moments: A professional wedding photographer will capture the candid, emotional, and intimate moments that make your day so special. From the exchange of vows to the joyous celebration with your loved ones, each photograph will tell a unique story and evoke cherished memories for years to come.
- Sharing your wedding day in photos and videos is a vital way to ensure that those others who are important in your life but were not part of the day, can feel like they aren’t missing out. I will tell you a short story. I have a friend who eloped with her now husband in a cactus garden in Australia. It was just the two of them, their photographer, videographer and celebrant. Her family was disappointed to not be included and couldn’t understand why they had eloped. But when the photography and the highlight video was released, the family got together to watch it and celebrated together. After seeing the footage, they accepted the decision and felt that they had been included. Because they got to witness it through the video and the photos, they said they felt like they were there. No one in her family every complained about their decision to elope after that.
Pros and Cons of an Intimate Wedding vs. a Large Affair
Now, let’s consider the pros and cons of having an intimate wedding compared to a grand affair.
Pros of an Intimate Wedding:
- Intense connections and quality time with loved ones.
- Cost-effective, allowing for a more focused budget on personalized details.
- Less stress and logistics to manage.
- Increased flexibility in choosing unique venues.
Cons of an Intimate Wedding:
- Limited guest list, which may require making difficult choices.
- Fewer resources for elaborate setups.
- Potential disappointment for those who expected an invitation.
In the end…
Whether you choose to have an intimate wedding or a grand affair, what truly matters is celebrating your love in a way. If you would like any vendor recommendations, please reach out to me and I will help you with some amazing companies that cater to intimate weddings in Auckland.
Suzannah Maree xoxo