As a wedding photographer in Auckland, I know that planning a wedding can be a stressful experience. There are so many factors to consider, from the venue to the guest list, and the weather is one of the biggest uncertainties. While we all hope for a sunny day on your wedding day, the reality is that it can rain at any time of the year in Auckland. So what happens if it rains on your wedding day?
Don’t panic! Rain doesn’t have to ruin your wedding day. In fact, it can add a romantic and moody atmosphere to your photos. As a professional wedding photographer, I have photographed many weddings in the rain, and I can tell you that there are plenty of options available to make the most of the situation.
Here are some tips and options to consider if it rains on your wedding day:
- Have a backup plan for the ceremony
If you’re planning an outdoor ceremony, it’s essential to have a backup plan in case of rain. You could consider a nearby indoor venue, such as a chapel or a hotel lobby. Alternatively, you could have a tent or a marquee set up in case of rain. Having a backup plan will give you peace of mind and ensure that your ceremony can go ahead no matter the weather.
- Choose a location that offers shelter
If you’re planning to take your wedding portraits outdoors, look for a location that offers shelter. This could be a covered walkway, a bridge, or even an alleyway with an overhang. These locations will not only keep you dry but also provide interesting backgrounds for your photos.
- Have some umbrellas on hand
Umbrellas are not only practical but also make for great props in photos. If you’re expecting rain, consider buying or renting some stylish umbrellas that match your wedding colours or theme. Not only will they keep you and your wedding party dry, but they will also add a pop of character to your photos. I recommend white or clear umbrellas as the best option. You can purchase clear umbrellas from some dollar stores or stores like Miniso & Daiso for quite a good price.
- Embrace the rain
Don’t be afraid to embrace the rain and incorporate it into your wedding photos. Rain can create a moody and romantic atmosphere, and the reflections and puddles can create interesting compositions. As a wedding photographer, I love shooting in the rain because it creates a unique and beautiful backdrop for your photos.
- Consider a post-wedding shoot
If the rain is too heavy on your wedding day, you could consider having a post-wedding shoot when the weather is better. This will give you the opportunity to take some outdoor photos without worrying about the rain. You could even choose a different location to add some variety to your photos.
- Trust your photographer
Finally, trust your photographer to make the most of the situation. As a professional wedding photographer, I have experience shooting in all kinds of weather conditions. I know how to use the available light and how to create interesting compositions even in the rain. So trust me to capture beautiful and memorable photos, no matter the weather.
Rain doesn’t have to ruin your wedding day. With some planning and preparation, you can make the most of the situation and create beautiful and memorable photos. Remember to have a backup plan for the ceremony, choose a location that offers shelter, have some umbrellas on hand, embrace the rain, consider a post-wedding shoot, and trust your photographer to capture beautiful photos. So if it rains on your wedding day, don’t panic, just enjoy the moment and create beautiful memories that will last a lifetime.
Top 13 locations in Auckland for taking photos on a rainy day:
- Auckland Museum – The grandeur of the Auckland Museum provides a beautiful backdrop for wedding portraits, and the colonnaded entrance offers ample shelter from the rain.
- Auckland Art Gallery – The modern architecture and elegant interior of the Auckland Art Gallery make it a stunning location for indoor photos, with plenty of natural light pouring in through the glass roof.
- Wintergarden Pavilion – The Wintergarden Pavilion is a beautiful indoor garden filled with exotic plants, providing a unique and lush backdrop for your photos.
- Parnell Rose Gardens – Even on a rainy day, the Parnell Rose Gardens offer a romantic and colourful backdrop for wedding photos, with the roses providing pops of colour against a grey sky.
- St Matthew-in-the-City – This beautiful church in central Auckland provides shelter from the rain while also offering beautiful architectural details and stained glass windows as a backdrop.
- Viaduct Harbour – The Viaduct Harbour is a popular location for wedding photos, and even on a rainy day, the waterfront and city skyline make for stunning compositions.
- Auckland Town Hall – The grandeur of the Auckland Town Hall makes it a beautiful indoor location for wedding photos, with the ornate interior providing a classic and elegant backdrop.
- Auckland Central Library – This modern and light-filled library offers a range of architectural features and spaces to create unique and interesting wedding photos.
- Auckland War Memorial Museum – The Auckland War Memorial Museum offers a range of indoor spaces, including grand halls and galleries, which can be used to create a range of stunning wedding photos.
- The Civic Theatre – This stunning theatre offers a range of architectural details and interesting spaces that can be used to create dramatic and unique wedding photos.
- The Cloud – This contemporary event space offers stunning views of the Auckland Harbour and city skyline, even on a rainy day.
- The Glasshouse – The Glasshouse is an indoor venue with floor-to-ceiling glass walls that offer panoramic views of Auckland. It’s a stunning location for a rainy day wedding shoot.
- Silo Park – Silo Park is a covered and sheltered outdoor space with stunning views of the Auckland Harbour and city skyline. It’s a great option for couples who want some outdoor shots on a rainy day.
These are just a few examples, but there are plenty of indoor locations in Auckland that can provide shelter and interesting backdrops for your wedding photos on a rainy day. A good wedding photographer should be able to suggest some options based on your preferences and the overall look and feel of your wedding.
Remember, even though it might be raining on your wedding day, there are plenty of indoor and covered locations in Auckland that can provide shelter and stunning backdrops for your wedding photos. Work with your wedding photographer to find the perfect location that matches your style and preferences.
Here are some non-specific options that can be useful for taking photos on a rainy day:
- Industrial spaces – Auckland has a number of industrial spaces that can offer a unique and edgy backdrop for wedding photos. These spaces often feature exposed brick, metal beams, and interesting textures that can add depth and character to your photos.
- Historic buildings – Auckland is home to a number of historic buildings that can offer a classic and elegant backdrop for your wedding photos. These buildings often feature ornate details and beautiful architecture that can add a touch of grandeur to your photos.
- Museums and galleries – As mentioned earlier, museums and galleries can offer a range of interesting and unique backdrops for your wedding photos. From modern and minimalistic to ornate and grand, there’s a museum or gallery to suit every style and preference.
- Hotel lobbies and atriums – Many of Auckland’s hotels feature grand lobbies and atriums that can provide shelter from the rain while also offering a stunning and elegant backdrop for your wedding photos.
- Greenhouses and conservatories – Auckland is home to a number of greenhouses and conservatories that can offer a lush and verdant backdrop for your wedding photos. These indoor spaces often feature exotic plants and flowers that can add a touch of romance and whimsy to your photos. (Pukeiti Rhododendron Trust, Muriwai Coastal Nursery, Palmers Planet, Auckland Domain Winter Gardens, Auckland Botanic Gardens).
- Art studios and warehouses – Auckland has a thriving arts scene, and there are plenty of art studios and warehouses that can provide an edgy and creative backdrop for your wedding photos. These spaces often feature interesting artwork and installations that can add a unique touch to your photos.
- Car Park Building – a car park can be an unusual but interesting option for taking photos on a rainy day! While it may not be the first place that comes to mind, car parks can offer an urban and gritty backdrop that can create some unique and edgy photos.
Remember, the most important thing is to find a location that matches your style and personality as a couple. Work with your wedding photographer to find a location that you both love and that will provide the perfect backdrop for your wedding photos, rain or shine.
My favourite option for rainy day wedding portraits:
The Central Business District (CBD) of Auckland can be a great option for taking photos on a rainy day. The CBD is the heart of Auckland and offers a wide range of interesting and unique backdrops for your wedding photos. Here are a few reasons why the CBD might be a good option for your rainy day wedding shoot:
- Covered walkways – The CBD has a number of covered walkways that can provide shelter from the rain while still allowing you to take advantage of the urban setting.
- Iconic buildings and landmarks – The CBD is home to a number of iconic buildings and landmarks, such as the Sky Tower, Britomart, and the Viaduct Harbour, that can create stunning backdrops for your wedding photos.
- Vibrant street art – Auckland’s CBD is home to a thriving street art scene, with colorful murals and graffiti adorning many of the buildings. These can provide a unique and edgy backdrop for your photos.
- Pedestrian-friendly streets – The CBD has a number of pedestrian-friendly streets, such as High Street and Vulcan Lane, that can offer interesting textures and backdrops for your photos.
- Variety of locations – With a range of different streets, buildings, and landmarks, the CBD offers a wide variety of options for your wedding photos. You can choose a location that matches your style and personality as a couple.
her to find the perfect location that matches your style and preferences. Greenhouses can provide a lush and vibrant backdrop for your wedding photos, and with so many different options in and around Auckland, you’re sure to find the perfect spot for your rainy day shoot.
Wedding Venues in Auckland that do well at catering for the possibility of RAIN!
When it comes to wedding venues, it’s always a good idea to consider options that have indoor or covered spaces that can be used for photos on a rainy day. Here are some venues in Auckland that have rainy day options for photos:
- The Wharf – The Wharf is a stunning waterfront venue located in Northcote Point that offers both indoor and outdoor spaces for weddings. The venue has a number of covered areas that can be used for photos on a rainy day, including the courtyard and the balcony.
- Mantells Mt Eden – Mantells Mt Eden is a beautiful wedding venue located on the slopes of Mount Eden. The venue has a number of indoor spaces that can be used for photos on a rainy day, including the main dining room and the wine cellar.
- The Riverhead – The Riverhead is a historic tavern and wedding venue located in northwest Auckland. The venue has a number of indoor spaces that can be used for photos on a rainy day, including the historic bar and the upstairs lounge.
- Kumeu Valley Estate – Kumeu Valley Estate is a beautiful wedding venue located in the heart of the Kumeu wine region. The venue has a number of indoor spaces that can be used for photos on a rainy day, including the main reception hall and the wine cellar.
It’s always a good idea to talk to your wedding venue about their rainy day options for photos, and to work with your photographer to find the best locations on the property. With a little planning and creativity, you can create stunning and memorable wedding photos, rain or shine.
See more helpful wedding photography tips and tricks & view more of my work by clicking this LINK to my website